Arnold Schwarzenegger Workout Routine: The Ultimate Bodybuilder's Guide
Arnold Schwarzenegger is widely regarded as one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time. He took bodybuilding to new heights during his reign in the 70s, winning 7 Mr. Olympia titles before retiring from the sport in 1980. However, Arnold's influence on bodybuilding is still felt today, with his workout routines being widely studied and emulated by modern bodybuilders. In this article, we'll be delving into Arnold Schwarzenegger Workout Routine, the one that propelled him to the pinnacle of bodybuilding.
Arnold Schwarzenegger's workout routine was rigorous and intense, designed to build muscle mass and definition. He believed in training each muscle group twice per week, with lots of heavy lifting, but also ample rest days to recover. Here's a breakdown of his workout routine:
1. Chest and Back (Day 1): Arnold would typically start his week with chest and back. He would perform exercises like bench press, incline bench press, dumbbell flyes, pull-ups, barbell rows, and bent-over rows, doing 3-5 sets of each exercise for 8-12 reps. He would also finish this workout with some ab exercises like sit-ups or leg raises.
2. Legs (Day 2): The second day of the week would focus on Arnold's lower body. He would perform exercises like squat, leg press, leg extensions, and calf raises, doing 3-5 sets of each exercise for 8-12 reps. He would also do some hamstring curls and finish this workout with ab exercises.
3. Shoulders and Arms (Day 3): On the third day of the week, Arnold would focus on his shoulders and arms. He would perform exercises like military press, lateral raises, barbell curls, concentration curls, tricep pushdowns, and skull crushers, doing 3-5 sets of each exercise for 8-12 reps. He would also finish this workout with some ab exercises.
4. Rest Day (Day 4): Arnold would always take a rest day after three days of intense training to allow his body to rest and recover.
5. Repeat Days 1-3 (Days 5-7): Arnold would then repeat his chest and back, legs, and shoulder and arm workouts for the last three days of the week, with a rest day between day 6 and 7.
Arnold's workout routine also included some other important aspects, like warming-up before each workout, stretching after each workout, and incorporating impressive feats of strength like squatting and deadlifting into his routine periodically. He also believed in the importance of strong mental discipline, focus, and visualization during workouts.
Conclusion: Arnold Schwarzenegger's workout routine was a grueling yet effective way to build a lean, muscular physique. It emphasized heavy lifting, proper form, and ample rest to allow the body to recover and grow. While not everyone has the dedication and determination to follow this routine, incorporating some elements of Arnold's workout into your own routine can help you build a stronger, leaner body. Remember, building a great body takes time, but with proper training and focus, you too can achieve great results.